6th March 2023: Our Daily deLIGHT~2nd Day-Understanding
Today we will continue from the verses we started yesterday in Psalm 119:97-99 and complete it with verses 100-104. This section of Psalm 119:97-104 was placed under the Hebrew letter Mem m, as we’ve previously shared, each section of Psalm 119 falls in consecutive order under a letter of the Hebrew Aleph Bet and in each section the first word begins with that Hebrew letter. The Mem m is the thirteenth letter in the aleph bet and has the numerical value of 40; the number for testing and trials. One doesn’t have to think very long to connect the forty’s of Scripture with testing and trials. The Mem is associated with water, specifically flowing or chaotic waters. It also has the meaning of being both revealed and concealed. So we have flowing and chaotic, revealed and concealed. Opposite sides of the same coin, so to speak. I will repeat the verses we used yesterday and add the new ones to it. As we read these verses notice the cause and effect that is contrasted and allow the Spirit of Understanding to impart the words of life so that they will flow like living water in our lives.
Psalm 119:97-104 says,
97 O how I love Your law! It is my meditation all the day.
98 Your commandments make me wiser than my enemies, for they are ever mine.
99 I have more insight [Understanding] than all my teachers, for Your testimonies are my meditation [to contemplate, to mutter, to muse, to ponder, to talk and communicate].
100 I understand more than the aged, because I have observed Your precepts.
101 I have restrained my feet from every evil way, that I may keep Your word.
102 I have not turned aside from Your ordinances, for You Yourself have taught me.
103 How sweet are Your words to my taste! Yes, sweeter than honey to my mouth!
104 From Your precepts I get understanding; therefore I hate every false way.
When we love and meditate on the Father’s Torah, understanding comes and we experience the following:
- His Torah make me wiser than my enemies
- His Torah belongs to us forever
- His Torah gives us more insight/understanding than our teachers as we meditate on His testimonies [this is what happens when we stop meditating on our own problems and redirect our focus to His accomplishments and witness]
- His Torah gives us understanding beyond those older than us if we do His precepts
- We keep from walking in the way of evil so that we may keep His Word
- We stay faithful to His ordinances because He has taught us to do this through His Word
- We acknowledge and believe that His Words are sweet and not bitter. In fact, sweeter than honey. One way this becomes our heart and thoughts about His Word is when we’re willing to lay down fleshly desires to walk in the truth. As you read through David’s writings, as well as others, and most certainly Yeshua our Messiah, you will notice that rising early to read and pray was a common discipline in their lives. This is one area that we can overcome fleshly desires and in turn His word becomes sweet to our souls. We can coin the phrase Meditate over Mattress to help us get out of the bed.
- We hate what He hates and one of those is a false way. His precepts reveal [remember, this is one of the concepts of the Mem m] what that is and in turn we gain understanding
As we meditate today, may we inquire of the Spirit of Understanding for any area of our lives that we need to be better disciplined in to ensure that we’re getting our time in the Word and prayer. If we have the courage to ask, there is no doubt He will give us the understanding and grace we need to change this area of our lives. It will be nothing but sweet as we surrender to the Spirit and not the flesh. And remember when it comes to reading His Word, it is wise to choose to: Meditate over Mattress!!
Have a blessed and shalom filled day!!
River of Life Tabernacle
Great peace have they who love Your law. Psalm 119:165a